Monday, September 13, 2010

Cow Parade

Having a herd of creatively painted cows on your town's main street is a lot of fun.  The first time.  And the second time.  It is OK the third time.  But . . .

West Hartford is the home of Cow Parade Holdings, the promoters of similar events around the world.

For those who are unfamiliar, a city or town enlists artists to decorate the cow blanks imaginatively.  Corporate sponsors put up funding.  The painted cows are installed around town amid parties and fairs and other civic events.  They give a city a festive feeling for a couple of months,  Afterward, the painted cows are auctioned off, with the proceeds going to charitable organizations.

I do feel like a grinch, but I think I have seen enough painted cows.

(I am traveling and don't return until the weekend.  Sorry if I am slow in responding to any comments.)

2 comments:

Stefan Jansson said...

You could buy them and put them away somewhere!

Halcyon said...

I think these "statues" are a cute idea, but they should have a link somehow to the city. Like in Ocala they have those painted horses b/c it's the horse capitol of the world. In Berlin, they have painted bears b/c that is the symbol of the city. I don't see the link between Hartford and cows. Maybe I am missing something? :)